Sunday, March 14, 2010

St Louis Symphony

Kyle surprised me with symphony tickets Friday night. I called him when I got off of work at 5:30 and he said, "Do you think we can make the symphony tonight? It starts at 7:00." Since I have about a 30 minute commute, I hurried home-luckily there were no accidents so traffic wasn't awful! We quickly changed, made bagels for the road, and jumped in the car.
We weren't sure where exactly we were going...but we were excited about seeing more of Saint Louis. We were headed to the Grand Center area of the city. The concert was at Powell Hall.
This was the ceiling.. the hall was stunning!

The architecture was incredible...kyle and I were afraid that the hall was going to be more impressive than the performance.

No photos past this point.... I didn't want to risk getting kicked out! :)

The symphony played four pieces. The first two were by Meredith Monk. Her pieces were rather odd... People sang making various sounds with their voices- accompanied by a small orchestra. Kyle and I did not particularly like this style of music. The last two pieces were traditional pieces...Bartok and Beethoven. Both of these piece gave us chills... and were amazing. It is incredible to watch people perform such powerful music.

0 comments: